Why is Bitumen Used in Road Construction?
Bitumen is used in Road Construction due to various properties and advantages it has over other pavement construction materials. Bitumen gains certain unique properties that are inbuilt in it during its manufacture. The bitumen as a raw material in flexible road construction and Bitumen as a Mix (composing other materials like Aggregates) serves certain advantages, that prompt to use Bitumen widely in road construction.
The reasons behind the significant application of bitumen in flexible pavements are explained below:
1. Production of Bitumen is Economical.
2. Physical and Rheological Properties of Bitumen bring Versatility.
3. The Melting Point of Bitumen is low.
4. Bitumen can undergo Recycling.
5. Bitumen gain Adhesive Nature.
6. Bitumen has Color Variety.